Monday, January 20, 2014

Teaching - Translation and Transformation

Teaching is one of my tasks for the month I am here at Tenwek.  I have prepared and also received “lectures” in obstetrics to share with the learners here.   The reality is that most of the teaching is problem-based and at the bedside.  Lectures are given but the “hands-on” education is the basis of the care using the history and physical findings to guide the use of other diagnostic tools or procedures.

The first task is making sure that we start where they are and respond to the needs they see every day.    This usually happens during morning rounds and at “Chi” time.  I need to translate the “Western” perspective to the reality of their world and education.    The second task is not so much about their knowledge as the task of building confidence in their abilities.  I need to affirm their passions and dreams and support their courage as they struggle with the realities that are often overwhelming.    This is the transformative task.   It is the more difficult of the teaching tasks.

So it is one thing to deliver appropriate and practical material to the learners and another to be part of their lives as they learn to make a difference here in Kenya.  For me it is the most enjoyable and rewarding part of being here!
Marv


2 comments:

  1. I think that is called being a minister, Marv, and you are !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this was a touching post! I think this is why I'm so glad you're my brother in law.

    ReplyDelete