Monday, January 27, 2014

Mzungu Nyanya



Karen and Nyanya on the Phone with Benaly

Sunday was a really special day for me!  Unfortunately Marv had to work and so he could not be a part of my trip.  The Kenyan obstetrician, Dr Elijah Terrer, invited several of us to his home and to his church.  The Tenwek pediatrician was asked to give the message in church.  The trip took about forty five  minutes and I would never be able to find it again!  It was really in a rural area.  I am amazed that Dr. Terrer makes this trip  each day along with his wife who also works at Tenwek.  They love living in their "homeland" near friends and family; much like we all do.  They have recently built this home and even though they work with modern conveniences(like bathrooms) they choose to have an African privy and a Kenyan kitchen.  A Kenyan kitchen is a separate outside room where you cook over an open fire.  Their "stove", unlike most, is recessed and the smoke goes up a chimney.  Emily Terrer prepared a beautiful breakfast for us of mdaza,(like doughnuts), boiled eggs, pineapple, and bananas along with the best chai I have tasted.  Chai is the Kenyan drink of tea, sugar, and  milk but she seasoned hers with rosemary and it was delicious!  After breakfast we went to the  secondary boarding school for boys(high school) that is next to the church.   It is common that you are expected to say a few words when you are introduced as guests.  I said something but have no recollection what!  Then we walked over to the church and were seated in the front row of the packed little place.  They are in the process of building a new sanctuary so that the boys from the school can worship with them.  They have stopped building now to raise money to continue.  Fund raising takes place everywhere!  The praise choir was in good voice, we were all introduced again and said something, the pediatrician mzungu preacher spoke, and two hours later we emerged  We had lunch at Elijah's neighbors' house and then headed back home about 3 PM.  Kenyan hospitality is so genuine!

When I got back home Marv and I walked up to the nursery to check on things and to say "Hi" to our good friend Karen, a neonatal nurse.  I asked Karen if she would be willing to make a phone call for me and speak in Kipsigis.  I wanted to call the TransMara and talk to Benaly, a mom of twins that I helped in 2012 during our last visit here.  Karen dialed the number and we held the phone so I could hear.  I heard Benaly scream when Karen said this is Karen and Nyanya (Nana) Miriam calling!  It brought tears to my eyes!  She reports that the twins, Matthew and Naomi are walking and doing well!  What fun to hear her voice! Unbelievably, she told Karen that she looks at my picture everyday which I find hard to believe unless she has a picture on her telephone.  She was out in the corn field weeding when she got our call!  That call made my day and perhaps was the most poignant event of the experience so far!

All and all it was a very special day!

Micki

No comments:

Post a Comment