Thursday, January 23, 2014

Joy

Returning to Kenya, and specifically Tenwek, has been much more emotional for me than I had imagined.  Physically it has been challenging because of the altitude.  We are at 6000 feet and so I have realized that I do not have all my pre-cancer strength back yet.  The good news is that I am here and I am climbing these hills!  It has been incredible to me that so many of my friends, both African and American greet me with Miriam, "We are so glad you are here!   We have been praying for you."  It brings me to tears very time.  To imagine that people across the world were praying for me!  I am overwhelmed by the love.  I felt the prayers.  

As I mentioned before I have not worked in the neonatal nursery as much this year because the census is low and because I honestly have not had as much energy as it takes to survive working in that warm room.  But today I went back and it seemed like home!  I was welcomed with open arms and asked where have you been Nanya? (Swahili for grandmother) What a wonderful feeling!

I noticed many changes.    The babies are wearing diapers, if their Mothers can afford them, whereas, before they were naked.  The electronic medical record is up and working which is significant as it makes labs and orders immediately available.  Many things are the same.  The small room is warm and  filled with antiquated incubators and little wooden boxes for beds.  Sleep deprived Moms dressed in ugly green striped hospital gowns still come every two hours to feed their infants and sit on the little stools in front of the beds.  Babies are still fragile and hooked to monitors and tubes. The most important thing that remains the same is the love and camaraderie that fills the room.  The Lord is ever present through the love of moms and dedicated Christian nurses and physicians.  Thanks be to God!

Micki

No comments:

Post a Comment